Self Evaluations

PIPD

Self Evaluation #1

Cherie Eppler

October 18, 2023

I am a strong believer of life long learning and I enjoy learning new things.  This, combined with a desire to improve and evolve my teaching skills are the reasons I registered for this course.  In all honesty, I did not really understand the scope of the course; however, I believe that there is always something new to be learned especially when it is related to technology.

I have enjoyed reading the weekly articles as they have made me think of things that I haven’t really thought of previously.  For example the first article “Technology is not Pedagogy” by Sean Michael Morris provided examples and his opinion of teaching online versus in a classroom that made me realize (or at least be more conscious) of the reasons and the potential that digital learning provides.  As an English as an additional language teacher, I have had to experience teaching online and a mixture of joint classes that involved in-class as well as online and have struggled with ensuring all students are engaged during the lessons.  His statement, ‘Actually good online education comes not from the purchase of another platform, but out of dialogue, out of the will to empower everyone involved in teaching and learning to create together a digital learning that isn’t just instrumental, that isn’t just performative, but that’s authentic, meaningful, and just.’, has made me rethink my approach to digital/online learning.  Instead of approaching it as a struggle, I believe I need to think of it as an opportunity to include the open dialogue and in his words ‘teach through the screen, not to the screen’ and be creative in my approach to ensure students are engaged and learning.

Another reading that I found very interesting and informative was “A Pedagogy of Kindness” by Catherine Denial. I hadn’t realized there was a mentality that ‘students were antagonists that tried to get one over on their instructors’ and that many times instructors/teachers started their teaching careers with these thoughts and approaches.  It is understandable how some students with learning challenges would ‘fall through the cracks’ and not be able to experience a positive learning environment.  In many ways it can be connected with the readings regarding inclusivity and creating a learning environment that is beneficial to all learners.

The readings and the discussions of the class has provided me with a better understanding and awareness of some of the challenges that learners have as well as approaching teaching in different ways that aim to be beneficial to both learners and students.  Overall, my first self evaluation is 8/10.  I give myself this mark, for a couple of reasons.  The first, is that I missed 1.5 classes; however, I did complete the readings and reviewed the weekly recordings.  The second reason, is that I believe I can improve my engagement during the class by contributing more of my opinions and asking more questions.

Technology for Teaching and Learning at TRU PIPD 2023

Self Evaluation #2

Cherie Eppler

November 22, 2023

I have enjoyed participating in this class and I am glad that I was able to take this class. It has created opportunities for me to better understand different methods of using technology in the classroom and how to incorporate technology to create a more inclusive class for all learners.

I believe there are many opportunities to use technology in the classroom and this program has provided some examples of the different type of programs and uses. I tend to think of myself as not being very creative when it comes to different activities and types of lesson plans, so I found this program very helpful with providing alternative methods to deliver and design lessons and classroom material that will hopefully be more beneficial for my students. 

As mentioned in my teaching philosophy, I am a strong believer in life long learning and this class has provided me with an opportunity to continue my desire to learn new approaches and technology that I was not aware previously. My goal is to continue to explore these approaches and the technology discussed during the program as well as to continue to explore additional options that may be available. I want to strive to create a classroom and environment that enables learners a positive and enriching experience.

During the program, there were a few weeks that I was not able to attend classes due to personal situations; however, I attempted to take advantage of the recorded classes as much as I could. I did attempt to participate during the classes that I was able to attend and provide some feedback, my opinion, ask questions, and try to samples of technology that were being discussed. Due to these factors, my self evaluation is 8/10.

Thank you for this opportunity and taking the time and effort to teach this program!